INJURED WORKERS HIT HARD BY O’FARRELL’S SLASHING OF WORKERS COMPENSATION: NSW OPPOSITION

ipad-art-wide-ofarrell-420x0

MEDIA RELEASE
John Robertson MP
NSW Opposition Leader
Michael Daley MP
Shadow Treasurer
Shadow Minister for Finance and Services

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

 INJURED WORKERS HIT HARD BY O’FARRELL’S SLASHING OF WORKERS COMPENSATION

Injured workers and their families continue to be hurt by the O’Farrell Government’s savage cuts to workers compensation, which have slashed medical benefits and entitlements following workplace accidents.

The NSW Labor Opposition said reductions in premiums celebrated today by the O’Farrell Government have come at the cost of injured workers and their families.

“Barry O’Farrell has today confirmed that NSW’s workers compensation scheme is no longer about helping injured workers – but is now simply about crude cost cutting,” Opposition Leader John Robertson said.

“The Premier has chosen to take the low road by attacking injured workers and their families – and simply removed the compensation from this State’s workers compensation scheme.

“I have injured workers contacting my office on a daily basis telling me how they and their families are suffering and struggling to make ends meet because of this Government’s changes to workers compensation.”

Under the O’Farrell Government’s changes last year, workers will no longer be looked after if they are injured on the way to or from work.

From the day you are injured, your salary will be cut, with a further reduction after 13 weeks of the injury taking place. Workers who return to work will also lose their medical benefits after 12 months even if they require ongoing treatment or their injury comes back.

Shadow Minister for Finance and Services Michael Daley said that many workers receiving workers compensation benefits have had their payments slashed due to the retrospective nature of the laws.

“Accidents can happen to anyone in the workplace – these changes ensure that anyone who injures themselves in the workplace will be left struggling to pay their bills,” Mr Daley said.

“These cuts are a disgraceful attack on those who can least afford it – Barry O’Farrell should be ashamed about basking in today’s announcement which just confirms injured workers and their families have been hit hard.”

MEDIA CONTACT: JOSH MCINTOSH 0400014185